Wow that week went fast. This weeks Instrumental inspirations will focus on famous jazz piano players. I had a really hard time deciding what to cover this week but managed to make a decision. If you are waiting for your favorite instrument to come along, don’t worry I will get there.
Piano players often do not get the credit they deserve, especially those who specialized in jazz. The piano is an essential part of the jazz ensemble as a key player in the rhythm section. The 5 jazz piano players I am going to touch on today were great at everything they did, whether they were a part of the rhythm section in a band or playing solo. Please keep in mind that this is not a complete list, just a few of my favorites. I am pretty sure I will feel the urge to revisit piano players in the future, along with all the other instruments I feature in this blog.
The following Pianists will be featured:
- Count Basie: August 21st, 1904 – April 26th, 1984
- Art Tatum: October 13th, 1909 – November 5th, 1956
- Thelonious Monk: October 10th, 1917 – February 17th, 1982
- Oscar Petterson: August 15th, 1925 – December 23rd, 2007
- Bill Evans: August 16th, 1929 – September 15th, 1980